Sunday, August 24, 2008

Books of the Week XI

Books Read: 2
Titles:
Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews. Another series where I didn't get to start with the first book, still at least this one is still the second (and according to the wikipedia page for the author the latest) so hopefully I'll run into the first book one of these days.  It's another urban fantasy book with a female protagonoist still I really like the setting of the story where different mythologies can co-exist, it keeps it from being too predictable, sort of educational, too.

Steeldriver by Don DeBrandt. And here I thought it was a good week for authors I haven't encountered before, but when I looked this author up, I found out he also wrote "The Closer" (writing as Donn Cortez) which I read a few weeks back. Different genre though, this book is one of his earlier works and under science fiction (a retelling of the John Henry Tall Tale myth of sorts), The Closer is more contemporary and a whole lot darker. I guess I need to keep an eye out for both names now.

No comments: