Friday, May 30, 2008

Books of the Week

I should probably accept the fact that when I do get a job, I wouldn't be able to read as many books as I do now (ironically, I'd be able to afford more books then.) Until such time and starting with this week's readings, I decided to keep track of what books I've gone through and how many.

Books read this week: 4
Titles:
Bitten by Kelley Armstrong
Long-Time Listener, First-Time Werewolf by Carrie Vaughn

And no, you didn't read that wrong, 4 books because Long-Time Listener, First-Time Werewolf is actually a compilation of the first 3 books in the Kitty Norville Series. Apparently, I made the right decision by not buying the 2nd book in the series which I saw a few months ago, thus could happily snap up the compiled series without second guessing myself whether to look for individual books or not. (because had I bought the earlier book, I'd be juggling the thought of buying the compilation and in effect "wasting" money on the earlier book or forego buying the compilation and hope to catch the individual books to complete it on a later date.) Bitten, on the other hand is part of the Women of the Otherworld Series (the first in the series actually,) I was introduced to the series thru Industrial Magic, the 4th book in the series. (I know, weird reading order and I just got my hand on Broken, 6th book in the series)

By coincidence, both books star female werewolves. Let's see, Bitten is a good read, with a strong, tough heroine, but I actually prefer the Kitty Norville series, the protagonist is, in her own words not the type one would expect a werewolf to look like. Someone who exudes sex and danger, but more like, "bully me, I'm weak and vulnerable." Not as exciting but so much more human.

Also, I like the part where Kitty works as radio talk show host. (I mean, if Spider-Man can be a freelance photographer, why can't a werewolf be a DJ.) It's a refreshing change from say Anita Blake or Anna Strong whose professions (Bounty Hunting) seems to be a too natural fit to their paranormal nature.

I also like the part where scientists are assigning scientific names to what are traditionally supernatural creatures, i.e. Homo sapiens sanguinis (Vampire,) Homo sapiens lupus (Werewolf,) and Homo sapiens pinnepedia (No idea, maybe the equivalent of AD&D seawolf?) Not an entirely original concept, I mean Marvel comics did it with Homo sapien superior (Mutants) and the Shadowrun rpg world already classifies humans into five major meta-types (the most common though there other "races" existing;) plain human (Homo sapiens sapiens), elf (Homo sapiens nobilis), dwarf (Homo sapiens pumilionis), ork (Homo sapiens robustus), and troll (Homo sapiens ingentis) I kinda like the idea that even when the world starts turning upside down, stuffy scientist types would still try to rationalize everything by trying to put them into proper categories by labeling them. (I'll probably be scouring the 'net for other variations.)

No comments: